A runway was first laid on Egilsstaðanes peninsula during the years 1951 to 1954. This gravel runway was in use until 1993. Before that time, seaplanes landed on Lagarfljót lake and passengers were ferried ashore by boat. The present runway was taken into use on 23 September 1993. The runway was laid further west on the peninsula than the old one, and its direction was slightly changed. The runway was situated so that approach is free of obstacles. All design and infrastructure was based on allowing for the runway to be extended later. The runway is 2.000 m long and its surface is 10 cm thick asphalt. Egilsstaðir Airport is an international airport. The airport is used by numerous airlines as an alternate airport for flights to and from Iceland as well as for overflights.
The air terminal was originally built in the period from 1963 to 1968, but was rebuilt and expanded during the years 1987 to 1999. A new arrivals hall at Egilsstaðir Airport was formally taken into use in April 2007. The new building spans 420 square meters, of which 80 square meters are used for a customs area. The total passenger area in the terminal was expanded from 800 to 1.200 square meters. The changes make it possible to completely separate arrival and departure passengers, which is a key element concerning aviation security on international flights.
The air terminal is on 2 floors; check-in counter, baggage entry, and security and customs are on the 1st floor, and offices, cafeteria, and main waiting hall are on the 2nd floor.
There were non-scheduled flights to Egilsstaðir into the 1950s when landings took place either on Lagarfljót lake or on grass fields on Egilsstaðanes peninsula. In 1951, the construction of a gravel runway on Egilsstaðanes was begun. The runway was completed in 1953 and equipped with lighting in 1954. Scheduled flights from Reykjavik then began in 1955. This runway eventually became 1.383 m long and 45 m wide with appropriate lighting, but with a rather difficult approach because of an unfavourable position in relation to mountains. The runway was in use until a new one was built in 1993. The new runway was situated so that approach is free of obstacles. All design and infrastructure was based on allowing for the runway to be extended later.